UMUC Biology 102/103
Lab 4: Enzymes
• On your own and without assistance, complete this Lab4AnswerForm electronically and submit it via Assignments by the date listed on your Course Schedule (under Content – Syllabus). NOTE: The Assignment tab closes promptly @ 11:59 PM ET and will not be available even a minute past the deadline. Save your Lab4AnswerForm in the following format: LastName_Lab4 (e.g., Smith_Lab4).
• I will be posting feedback under a private Lab 4 Feedback group in the Discussions after I have graded all the labs. You will gain access to the private Lab 4 area if you submit a complete lab on time.
• You must submit your document in a Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf) to receive credit. I cannot open Works or WordPerfect files.
Experiment 1: Enzymes in Food (15 pts)
Table 1: Substance vs. Starch Presence
Substance Resulting Color Presence of Starch?
Positive Control: Starch
Negative Control: Student Must Select
1. What were your controls for this experiment? What did they demonstrate? Why was saliva included in this experiment?
2. What is the function of amylase? What does amylase do to starch?
3. Which of the foods that you tested contained amylase? Which did not? What experimental evidence supports your claim?
4. Saliva does not contain amylase until babies are two months old. How could this affect an infant’s digestive requirements?
5. Digestive enzymes in the gut include proteases, which digest proteins. Why don’t these enzymes digest the stomach and small intestine, which are partially composed of protein?
Experiment 2: Effect of temperature on enzyme activity (15 pts)
Table 2: Record the effect of temperature on the production of gas
(°C) Balloon Circumference
(Uninflated in cm)
(Inflated in cm)
2 (room temp)
1. What is the enzyme in this experiment? What is the substrate?
2. What is the independent (IV) and dependent (DV) variables in this study?
3. How does temperature affect enzyme function?
4. How can enzyme activity be increased?
5. In general, how would an increase in substrate alter enzyme activity? Draw or insert a graph to illustrate this relationship.
6. Draw a graph using balloon diameter vs. temperature. You may use Excel, then “Insert” the graph, or use another drawing program. You may also draw it neatly by hand and scan your drawing. You would need to insert the scanned jpg image here, in that case. What is the correlation shown on your graph?
7. Design an experiment to determine the optimal temperature for enzyme function, complete with controls. Be sure to state your hypothesis, describe your design, dissect your variables (IV/DV), and predict your results. When you describe your design, be sure to explain where you will find the enzymes for this experiment and what substrate you will use.
We are committed to making our customer experience enjoyable and that we are keen on creating conditions where our customers feel secured and respected in their interactions with us.
With our qualified expert team who are available 24/7, we ensure that all our customer needs and concerns are met..
Our refund policy allows you to get your money back when you are eligible for a refund. In such a case, we guarantee that you will be paid back to your credit card. Another alternative we offer you is saving this money with us as a credit. Instead of processing the money back, keeping it with us would be an easier way to pay for next the orders you placeRead more
All orders you place on our website are written from scratch. Our expert team ensures that they exercise professionalism, the laid down guidelines and ethical considerations which only allows crediting or acknowledging any information borrowed from scholarly sources by citing. In cases where plagiarism is confirmed, then the costumier to a full refund or a free paper revision depending on the customer’s request..Read more
Quality is all our company is about and we make sure we hire the most qualified writers with outstanding academic qualifications in every field. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
We understand that students are not allowed to seek help on their projects, papers and assignments from online writing services. We therefore strive to uphold the confidentiality that every student is entitled to. We will not share your personal information elsewhere. You are further guaranteed the full rights of originality and ownership for your paper once its finished.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more